Washington County, Indiana Genealogy
Washington County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Washington Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Washington County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.washingtoncounty.in.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: December 21, 1813 from Clark County and Harrison County (became effective January 17, 1814)
- County Seat: Salem
- Named After: U.S. President George Washington
- Bordering Counties: Jackson County (north), Scott County (northeast), Clark County (southeast), Floyd County (south), Harrison County (south), Crawford County (southwest), Orange County (west), Lawrence County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Campbellsburg, Fredericksburg, Hardinsburg, Little York, Livonia, New Pekin, Pekin, Salem, Saltillo
- Townships: Brown, Franklin, Gibson, Howard, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Pierce, Polk, Posey, Vernon, Washington
Washington County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington County Historian, Cecil J. Smith, 505 N. Water St., Salem, IN 47167; Phone: (812) 883-2891
- Washington County Historical Society, 307 E. Market St., Salem, IN 47167-2119; Phone: (812) 883-6495
- Pekin Historical Society, 5260 S. State Road 60, Pekin, IN 47165-7222
- Southern Indiana Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 665, New Albany, IN 47151-0665
- Washington County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Washington County
- Washington County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Washington County
- USGenWeb Archives for Washington County
Washington County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Washington County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Washington County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Washington County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Washington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 99 Public Square, Salem, IN 47167
- Washington County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 812-883-5748
- Marriage Records: 1815
- Probate Records: 1814
- Court Records: 1814
- Washington County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 812-883-4001
- Land Records: 1814
- Washington County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Washington County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Washington County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Washington County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Washington County genealogy or family history related sites.
Washington Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washington Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Washington Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Washington Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Washington Co. IN Census Records
Washington Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Washington Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Washington Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washington Co. IN General and History Websites
Washington Co. IN Military Records
Washington Co. IN Schools & Directories