Warren County, Indiana Genealogy
Warren County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Warren Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Warren County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.warrenadvantage.com/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1827 from Wabash New Purchase and Unorganized Land
- County Seat: Williamsport
- Named After: Dr. Joseph Warren, American Revolutionary War hero
- Bordering Counties: Benton County (north), Tippecanoe County (east), Fountain County (southeast), Vermillion County (south), Vermilion County, IL (west)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Pine Village, Hedrick, Pence, Stewart, State Line City, Carbondale, Judyville, Kramer, Green HillFoster, West Lebanon, Rainsville, Tab, Johnsonville, Marshfield, Independence, Winthrop, Williamsport
- Townships: Adams, Jordan, Kent, Liberty, Medina, Mound, Pike, Pine, Prairie, Steuben, Warren, Washington
Warren County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Warren County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Warren County Historian, Terri L. Wargo, 3404 W. 575 S., Williamsport, IN 47993-8287; Home Phone: (765) 893-4623, Work Phone: (765) 893-4605
- Warren County Historical Society, P.O. Box 176, Williamsport, IN 47993-0176; Phone: (765) 893-4605
- Warren County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Warren County
- Warren County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Warren County
- USGenWeb Archives for Warren County
Warren County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Warren County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Warren County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Warren county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. The Courthouse at Williamsport was destroyed by fire on Sunday, January 20, 1907. All the records but those of the commissioners were saved.
- Warren County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 125 North Monroe Street, Williamsport, IN 47993
- Warren County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (765) 762-3510
- Marriage Records: 1827
- Probate Records: 1829
- Court Records: 1827
- Warren County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 765-762-3174
- Land Records: 1830
- Warren County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Warren County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Indiana Historical Records
- Databases include Indiana Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Indiana Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Indiana Voter Lists & Census Records; Indiana Immigration & Emigration Records; Indiana Obituary Records; Indiana Military Records; Indiana Family Tree Records; Indiana Pictures; Indiana Stories, Memories & Histories; Indiana Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Warren County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Warren County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Warren County genealogy or family history related sites.
Warren Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Warren Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Warren Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Warren Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Warren Co. IN Census Records
Warren Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Warren Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Warren Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Warren Co. IN General and History Websites
Warren Co. IN Military Records
Warren Co. IN Schools & Directories