Porter County, Indiana Genealogy
Porter County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Porter Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Porter County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www2.porterco.org/
- Created Date / Origin: February 1, 1836 from unorganized lands
- County Seat: Valparaiso
- Named After: Capt. David Porter, hero of the War of 1812
- Bordering Counties: LaPorte County (east), Starke County (southeast), Jasper County (south), Lake County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Portage, Valparaiso, Beverly Shores, Burns Harbor, Chesterton, Dune Acres, Hebron, Kouts, Ogden Dunes, Porter, Town of Pines
- Townships: Boone, Center, Jackson, Liberty, Morgan, Pine, Pleasant, Portage, Porter, Union, Washington, Westchester
Porter County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Porter County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Porter County Historian, Larry Clark, 107 Jefferson St., Valparaiso, IN 46383-4820, Home Phone: (219) 462-2780
- Beverly Shores Historical Society, P.O. Box 242, Beverly Shrs, IN 46301-0242; Phone: (219) 874-8000
- Duneland Historical Society, P.O. Box 2034, Chesterton, IN 46304; Phone: (219) 921-0963
- Hebron Historical Society, P.O. Box 679, Hebron, IN 46341-0679; Phone: (219) 996-3192
- Historical Society of Ogden Dunes, 115 Hillcrest Road Suite 101, Portage, IN 46368-8503; Phone: (219) 764-7526
- Historical Society of Porter County, 153 Franklin St., Valparaiso, IN 46383-5631; Phone: (219) 465-3595
- Kankakee Valley Historical Society, 22 W. 1050 S., Kouts, IN 46347
- Portage Community Historical Society, P.O. Box 305, Portage, IN 46368-0305; Phone: (219) 762-8349
- Westchester Township History Museum, 700 W. Porter Ave.., Chesterton, IN 46304; Phone: (219) 983-9715
- Porter County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Porter County
- Porter County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Porter County
- USGenWeb Archives for Porter County
Porter County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Porter County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Porter County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Porter County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Dec. 1934, All records saved.
- Porter County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Porter County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 16 Lincolnway, Suite 209, Valparaiso, Indiana 46383
- Phone: (219) 465-3450
- Marriage Records: 1836
- Probate Records: 1839
- Court Records: ?
- Porter County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 155 Indiana Avenue, Suite 210, Valparaiso, Indiana 46383
- Phone: (219) 465-3465
- Land Records: 1833
- Porter County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Porter County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Indiana Historical Records
- Databases include Indiana Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Indiana Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Indiana Voter Lists & Census Records; Indiana Immigration & Emigration Records; Indiana Obituary Records; Indiana Military Records; Indiana Family Tree Records; Indiana Pictures; Indiana Stories, Memories & Histories; Indiana Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Porter County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Porter County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Porter County genealogy or family history related sites.
Porter Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Porter Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Porter Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Porter Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Porter Co. IN Census Records
Porter Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Porter Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Porter Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Porter Co. IN General and History Websites
Porter Co. IN Military Records
Porter Co. IN Schools & Directories