Parke County, Indiana Genealogy
Parke County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Parke Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Parke County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.parkecounty-in.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: April 2, 1821 (effective April 2, 1821) from Vigo County, Unorganized Land and Wabash New Purchase
- County Seat: Rockville
- Named After: Benjamin Parke, a delegate of Indiana Territory to the U.S. Congress
- Bordering Counties: Fountain County (north), Montgomery County (northeast), Putnam County (east), Clay County (south), Vigo County (southwest), Vermillion County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Rockville, Bloomingdale, Marshall, Mecca, Montezuma, Rosedale
- Townships: Adams, Florida, Greene, Howard, Jackson, Liberty, Penn, Raccoon, Reserve, Sugar Creek, Union, Wabash, Washington
Parke County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Parke County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Parke County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Parke County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Parke County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Parke county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Oct. 1833, Saved: marriages from 1829; probate, deed and deed indexes from 1833.
- Parke County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 116 West High Street, Rockville, IN 47872
- Parke County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (765) 569-5132
- Marriage Records: 1829
- Probate Records: 1833
- Court Records: 1833
- Parke County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: (765) 569 - 3419
- Land Records: 1816
- Parke County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Parke County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Parke County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Parke County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Parke County genealogy or family history related sites.
Parke Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Parke Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Parke Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Parke Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Parke Co. IN Census Records
Parke Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Parke Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Parke Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Parke Co. IN General and History Websites
Parke Co. IN Military Records
Parke Co. IN Schools & Directories