Orange County, Indiana Genealogy
Orange County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Orange Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Orange County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.co.orange.in.us/
- Created Date / Origin: February 1, 1816 from Gibson County, Knox County and Washington County
- County Seat: Paoli
- Named After: Orange County, North Carolina, in turn named for the Dutch Protestant House of Orange
- Bordering Counties: Lawrence County (north), Washington County (east), Crawford County (south), Dubois County (southwest), Martin County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Paoli, Orleans, French Lick and West Baden Springs
- Townships: French Lick, Greenfield, Jackson, Northeast, Northwest, Orangeville, Orleans, Paoli, Southeast, Stampers Creek
Orange County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Orange County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Orange County Historian, Jeffrey A. Lane, 28 Library St., Paoli, IN 47454-1356; Home Phone: (812) 723-4238
- French Lick West Baden Museum, P.O. Box 250, French Lick, IN 47432; Phone: (812) 936-3592
- Orange Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 344, Paoli, IN 47454
- Orange County Historical Society, P.O. Box 454, Paoli, IN 47454-0454
- West Baden Historical Society, P.O. Box 284, West Baden Sprgs, IN 47469-0284; Phone: (812) 936-4875
- Orange County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Orange County
- Orange County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Orange County
- USGenWeb Archives for Orange County
Orange County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Orange County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Orange County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Orange County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Orange County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 205 E Main St, County Complex, Paoli 47454
- Orange County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (812) 723-2649
- Marriage Records: 1816
- Probate Records: 1816
- Court Records: 1816
- Orange County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 812-723-7107
- Land Records: 1816
- Orange County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Orange County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Orange County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Orange County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Orange County genealogy or family history related sites.
Orange Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Orange Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Orange Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Orange Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Orange Co. IN Census Records
Orange Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Orange Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Orange Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Orange Co. IN General and History Websites
Orange Co. IN Military Records
Orange Co. IN Schools & Directories