Morgan County, Indiana Genealogy
Morgan County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Morgan Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Morgan County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.morgancounty.in.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: February 15, 1822 from Delaware New Purchase and
Wabash New Purchase
- County Seat: Martinsville
- Named After: Gen. Daniel Morgan, hero of the American Revolutionary War
- Bordering Counties: Hendricks County (north), Marion County (northeast), Johnson County (east), Brown County (southeast), Monroe County (south), Owen County (southwest), Putnam County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Bethany, Brooklyn, Martinsville, Monrovia, Mooresville, Morgantown, Paragon
- Townships: Adams, Ashland, Baker, Brown, Clay, Green, Gregg, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Ray, Washington
Morgan County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Morgan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Morgan County Historian, Joanne R. Stuttgen, 759 E. Washington St., Martinsville, IN 46151-1646; Home Phone: (765) 349-1537
- Morgan County History and Genealogy Association, P.O. Box 1012, Martinsville, IN 46151-0012; Phone: (765) 342-0391
- Morgan County Historic Preservation Society, P.O. Box 1377, Martinsville 46151
- Morgan County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Morgan County
- Morgan County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Morgan County
- USGenWeb Archives for Morgan County
Morgan County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Morgan County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Morgan County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Morgan County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Mar. 1876, Some records destroyed. Saved: marriage and deed records from 1822, probate order books 1822-1836.
- Morgan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 10 E Washington St, Martinsville 46151
- Morgan County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (765) 342-1025
- Marriage Records: 1822
- Probate Records: 1822
- Court Records: 1822
- Morgan County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 765-342-1077
- Land Records: 1822
- Morgan County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Morgan County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Indiana Historical Records
- Databases include Indiana Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Indiana Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Indiana Voter Lists & Census Records; Indiana Immigration & Emigration Records; Indiana Obituary Records; Indiana Military Records; Indiana Family Tree Records; Indiana Pictures; Indiana Stories, Memories & Histories; Indiana Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Morgan County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Morgan County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Morgan County genealogy or family history related sites.
Morgan Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Morgan Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Morgan Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Morgan Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Morgan Co. IN Census Records
Morgan Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Morgan Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Morgan Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Morgan Co. IN General and History Websites
Morgan Co. IN Military Records
Morgan Co. IN Schools & Directories