Madison County, Indiana Genealogy
Madison County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Madison Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Madison County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.madisoncty.com
- Created Date / Origin: July 1, 1823 from Delaware New Purchase
- County Seat: Anderson
- Named After: U.S. President James Madison
- Bordering Counties: Grant County (north), Delaware County (east), Henry County (southeast), Hancock County (south), Hamilton County (west), Tipton County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Alexandria, Anderson, Chesterfield, Country Club Heights, Edgewood, Elmhurst, Elwood, Frankton, Ingalls, Lapel, Markleville, Orestes, Pendleton, River Forest, Summitville, Woodlawn Heights
- Townships: Adams, Anderson, Boone, Duck Creek, Fall Creek, Green, Jackson, Lafayette, Monroe, Pipe Creek, Richland, Stony Creek, Union, Van Buren
Madison County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Madison County Historian, Stephen T. Jackson, 306 Edgewood Pl E., Anderson, IN 46011-1610, Home Phone: (765) 643-9897
- Alexandria-Monroe Township Historical Society, 313 N. Harrison St., Alexandria, IN 46001-1624; Phone: (765) 724-2234
- Elwood Pipecreek Genealogical Society, 1600 Main St., Elwood, IN 46036-2023
- Elwood-Pipecreek Historical Society, 1600 Main St., Elwood, IN 46036-2023
- Madison County Historical Society, P.O. Box 696, Anderson, IN 46015-0696; Phone: (765) 683-0052
- Orestes Historical Society, P.O. Box 269, Orestes, IN 46063
- Pendleton Historical Museum, P.O. Box 345, Pendleton, IN 46064-0345; Phone: (765) 778-2395
- Summitville Van Buren Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 242, Summitville, IN 46070-0242
- Madison County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Madison County
- Madison County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Madison County
- USGenWeb Archives for Madison County
Madison County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Madison County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Madison County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Madison County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Dec. 1880, Lost: marriage, circuit court and common pleas court records
Saved: wills from 1879, deeds from 1825, and general index to deeds from 1829.
- Madison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 16 E. Ninth Street, Anderson, IN 46016
- Madison County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (765) 641-9443
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Probate Records: 1879
- Court Records: ?
- Madison County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 765-641-9616
- Land Records: 1822
- Madison County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Madison County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Indiana Historical Records
- Databases include Indiana Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Indiana Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Indiana Voter Lists & Census Records; Indiana Immigration & Emigration Records; Indiana Obituary Records; Indiana Military Records; Indiana Family Tree Records; Indiana Pictures; Indiana Stories, Memories & Histories; Indiana Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Madison County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Madison County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Madison County genealogy or family history related sites.
Madison Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Madison Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Madison Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Madison Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Madison Co. IN Census Records
Madison Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Madison Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Madison Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Madison Co. IN General and History Websites
Madison Co. IN Military Records
Madison Co. IN Schools & Directories