Knox County, Indiana Genealogy
Knox County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Knox Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Knox County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.knoxcountygov.com/
- Created Date / Origin: June 20, 1790 as an Original County (Knox County, NW Territory, was formed from non-county area in 1790. This included segments of present Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, plus all of Indiana. Knox County became an Indiana territory in 1800, although much of the original county had been formed into other counties by that time. It became an Indiana county in 1816)
- County Seat: Vincennes
- Named After: U.S. Secretary of War Henry Knox
- Bordering Counties: Sullivan County (north), Greene County (northeast), Daviess County (east), Pike County (southeast), Gibson County (south), Wabash County, IL (southwest), Lawrence County, IL (west), Crawford County, IL (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Bicknell, Bruceville, Decker, Edwardsport, Freelandville, Monroe City, Oaktown, Sandborn, Vincennes, Westphalia, Wheatland
- Townships: Busseron, Decker, Harrison, Johnson, Palmyra, Steen, Vigo, Vincennes, Washington, Widner
Knox County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Knox County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Knox County Historian, Dennis J. Latta, 2742 S. Hickory Corner Road, Vincennes, IN 47591-8729; Home Phone: (812) 726-5333
- The Northwest Territory Genealogical Society of Knox County, Lewis Historical Library, Vincennes University, Vincennes, IN 47591
- Vincennes Historical and Antiquarian Society, P.O. Box 487, Vincennes, IN 47591-0487
- Knox County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Knox County
- Knox County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Knox County
- USGenWeb Archives for Knox County
Knox County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Knox County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Knox County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Knox County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Jan. 1814, Records that survived: marriages from 1807; order book from 1811; minutes book 1816-1818; orphan's court minutes 1796-1805; minutes of common pleas court 1790-1810; general indexes to administrations from 1795-1886; deeds from 1814 and wills from 1806.
- Knox County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 111 N 7th St, Vincennes 47591
- Knox County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (812) 885-2521
- Marriage Records: 1806
- Probate Records: 1790
- Court Records: 1801
- Knox County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 812-885-2508
- Land Records: 1783
- Knox County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Knox County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Knox County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Knox County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Knox County genealogy or family history related sites.
Knox Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Knox Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Knox Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Knox Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Knox Co. IN Census Records
Knox Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Knox Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Knox Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Knox Co. IN General and History Websites
Knox Co. IN Military Records
Knox Co. IN Schools & Directories