Jasper County, Indiana Genealogy
Jasper County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Jasper Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Jasper County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.jaspercountyin.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: March 15, 1838 from Wabash New Purchase and Unorganized Land
- County Seat: Rensselaer
- Named After: Sgt. William Jasper, hero of the American Revolutionary War
- Bordering Counties: Porter County (north), La Porte (northeast), Starke County (east), Pulaski County (east), White County (southeast), Benton County (south), Newton County (west), Lake County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Collegeville, De Motte, Remington, Rensselaer, Roselawn, Wheatfield
- Townships: Barkley, Carpenter, Gillam, Hanging Grove, Jordan, Kankakee, Keener, Marion, Milroy, Newton, Union, Walker, Wheatfield
Jasper County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jasper County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jasper County Historian, Judy Kanne, 605 W. Milroy Ave., Rensselaer, IN 47978; Phone: 219-866-7825
- Jasper County Historical Society, 479 N. Van Rensselaer St., Rensselaer, IN 47978-2448
- Remington Historical Society, P.O. Box 596, Remington, IN 47977; Phone: (219) 261-2307
- Demotte Historical Society, P.O. Box 404, Demotte, IN 46310-0404
- Jasper County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jasper County
- Jasper County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jasper County
- USGenWeb Archives for Jasper County
Jasper County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Jasper County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Jasper County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jasper county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in 1864, Clerk's records were lost--deeds and deed indexes escaped damage.
- Jasper County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 115 W. Washington, Rensselaer 47979
- Jasper County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 219-866-4926
- Marriage Records: 1850
- Probate Records: 1864
- Court Records: ?
- Jasper County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 219-866-4923
- Land Records: 1838
- Jasper County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Jasper County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Jasper County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Jasper County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Jasper County genealogy or family history related sites.
Jasper Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jasper Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jasper Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Indiana
- Jasper County, Indiana Deaths, 1921-77 (search.ancestry.com)
- Jasper County, Indiana Marriages, 1850-1920 (search.ancestry.com)
- Jasper County, Indiana Index to Birth Records, 1882-1920 (search.ancestry.com)
- Jasper County, Indiana Index to Death Records, 1882-1920 (search.ancestry.com)
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Jasper Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jasper Co. IN Census Records
Jasper Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jasper Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Jasper Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jasper Co. IN General and History Websites
Jasper Co. IN Military Records
Jasper Co. IN Schools & Directories