Harrison County, Indiana Genealogy
Harrison County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Harrison Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Harrison County Quick Facts
- Government Website: harrisoncounty.in.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: December 1, 1808 from Clark County and Knox County
- County Seat: Corydon
- Named After: William Henry Harrison, governor of Indiana Territory and U.S. President
- Bordering Counties: Washington County (north), Floyd County (east), Jefferson County, KY (southeast), Hardin County, KY (south), Meade County, KY (southwest), Crawford County (west)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Bradford, Breckenridge, Bridgeport, Buena Vista, Central, Central Barren, Corydon, Corydon Junction, Crandall, Davidson, Depauw, Dixie, Dogwood, Elizabeth, Evans Landing, Fairdale, Fishtown, Frenchtown, Hancock Chapel, Hillcrest, Laconia, Lanesville, Little St. Louis, Locust Point, Lottick Corner, Macedonia, Mauckport, Moberly, Mott Station, New Amsterdam, New Boston, New Middletown, New Salisbury, Palmyra, Ramsey, Rosewood, Seven Springs, Sugar Grove, Titus, Valley City, and White Cloud.
- Townships: Blue River, Boone, Franklin, Harrison, Heth, Jackson, Morgan, Posey, Spencer, Taylor, Washington and Webster.
Harrison County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Harrison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Harrison County Historian, Daniel L. Bays, 161 Ponder Ln NE, Corydon, IN 47112-7221; Home Phone: (812) 738-3570
- Historical Society of Harrison County , 5850 Devil's Elbow Road NW, Corydon, IN 47112; Phone: (812) 738-2828 or (812) 736-2373
- Southern Indiana Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 665, New Albany, IN 47151-0665
- Harrison County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Harrison County
- Harrison County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Harrison County
- USGenWeb Archives for Harrison County
Harrison County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Harrison County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Harrison County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Harrison County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Harrison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Harrison County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 300 North Capitol Ave., Room #203 , Corydon, IN 47112
- Phone: 812-738-4289
- Marriage Records: 1809
- Probate Records: 1809
- Court Records: 1809
- Harrison County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 245 Atwood Street NE, Suite #201, Corydon, IN 47112
- Phone: 812-738-3788
- Land Records: 1807
- Harrison County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Harrison County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Indiana Historical Records
- Databases include Indiana Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Indiana Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Indiana Voter Lists & Census Records; Indiana Immigration & Emigration Records; Indiana Obituary Records; Indiana Military Records; Indiana Family Tree Records; Indiana Pictures; Indiana Stories, Memories & Histories; Indiana Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Harrison County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Harrison County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Harrison County genealogy or family history related sites.
Harrison Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Harrison Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Harrison Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Harrison Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Harrison Co. IN Census Records
Harrison Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Harrison Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Harrison Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Harrison Co. IN General and History Websites
Harrison Co. IN Military Records
Harrison Co. IN Schools & Directories