Hancock County, Indiana Genealogy
Hancock County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Hancock Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Hancock County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.hancockcoingov.org/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1828 from Madison County
- County Seat: Greenfield
- Named After: John Hancock, first signer of the Declaration of Independence
- Bordering Counties: Madison County (north), Henry County (east), Rush County (southeast), Shelby County (south), Marion County (west), Hamilton County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Fortville, Greenfield, Maxwell, McCordsville, New Palestine, Shirley, Spring Lake, Wilkinson
- Townships: Blue River, Brandywine, Brown, Buck Creek, Center, Green, Jackson, Sugar Creek, Vernon
Hancock County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hancock County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hancock County Historian, Joseph L. Skvarenina, 523 N. Swope St., Greenfield, IN 46140-1640; Home Phone: (317) 467-4835
- Hancock County Historical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 375, Greenfield, IN 46140-0375; Phone: (317) 462-7780
- Genealogical Society of Hancock , IN Inc., P.O. Box 122, Greenfield, IN 46140-0122
- Jane Ross Reeves Octagon House, P.O. Box 258, Shirley, IN 47384-0258; Phone: (765) 445-0062
- Shirley Historical Society, P.O. Box 93, Shirley, IN 47384-0093; Phone: (765) 785-6701
- Hancock County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hancock County
- Hancock County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hancock County
- USGenWeb Archives for Hancock County
Hancock County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Hancock County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Hancock County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Hancock County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Dec. 1940, No records harmed.
- Hancock County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: 9 E. Main Street, Room 213, Greenfield, IN 46140
- Phone: 317-477-1109
- Marriage Records: 1828
- Probate Records: 1828
- Court Records: ?
- Hancock County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 111 S. American Legion Place, Suite 202, Greenfield, IN 46140
- Phone: Phone: 317-477-1142
- Land Records: 1827
- Hancock County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Hancock County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Indiana Historical Records
- Databases include Indiana Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Indiana Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Indiana Voter Lists & Census Records; Indiana Immigration & Emigration Records; Indiana Obituary Records; Indiana Military Records; Indiana Family Tree Records; Indiana Pictures; Indiana Stories, Memories & Histories; Indiana Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Hancock County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Hancock County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Hancock County genealogy or family history related sites.
Hancock Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hancock Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hancock Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hancock Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hancock Co. IN Census Records
Hancock Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hancock Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Hancock Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hancock Co. IN General and History Websites
Hancock Co. IN Military Records
Hancock Co. IN Schools & Directories