Fountain County, Indiana Genealogy
Fountain County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Fountain Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Fountain County Quick Facts
- Government Website: No website
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1826 from Montgomery County and Wabash New Purchase
- County Seat: Covington
- Named After: Major James Fontaine, a hero of the American Revolutionary War
- Bordering Counties: Tippecanoe County (northeast), Montgomery County (east), Parke County (south), Vermillion County (southwest), Warren County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Attica, Covington, Veedersburg, Newtown, Mellott, Hillsboro, Wallace, Kingman
- Townships: Cain, Richland, Shawnee, Troy, Wabash, Davis, Fulton, Jackson, Logan, Millcreek and Van Buren
Fountain County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Fountain County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Fountain County Historian, Robert Quirk, 3219 E. New Richmond Road, Wingate, IN 47994-8021; Home Phone: (765) 295-2604
- Fountain County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 273, Veedersburg, IN 47987-0273; Phone: (765) 397-3657
- Fountain County Historical Society, 403 S. Brady St., Attica, IN 47918-1426
- Fountain County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Fountain County
- Fountain County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fountain County
- USGenWeb Archives for Fountain County
Fountain County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Fountain County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Fountain County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Fountain County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Fountain County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address:301 4th St, Covington 47932
- Fountain County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (765) 793-2192
- Marriage Records: 1826
- Probate Records: 1827
- Court Records: ?
- Fountain County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 765-793-2431
- Land Records: 1827
- Fountain County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Fountain County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Fountain County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Fountain County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Fountain County genealogy or family history related sites.
Fountain Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fountain Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fountain Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Fountain Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fountain Co. IN Census Records
Fountain Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Fountain Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Fountain Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fountain Co. IN General and History Websites
Fountain Co. IN Military Records
Fountain Co. IN Schools & Directories