Delaware County, Indiana Genealogy
Delaware County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Delaware Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Delaware County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.co.delaware.in.us/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1827 from Delaware New Purchase
- County Seat: Muncie
- Named After: Delaware Native American people
- Bordering Counties: Blackford County (north), Jay County (northeast), Randolph County (east), Henry County (south), Madison County (west), Grant County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Albany, Daleville, Eaton, Gaston, Muncie, Selma, Yorktown
- Townships: Center, Delaware, Hamilton, Harrison, Liberty, Monroe, Mount Pleasant, Niles, Perry, Salem, Union, Washington
Delaware County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Delaware County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Decatur County Historian, Russell Wilhoit, 1024 E. Lakeshore Drive, Greensburg, IN 47240-2323; Home Phone: (812) 663-8290
- Historical Society of Decatur County, P.O. Box 163, Greensburg, IN 47240-0163; Phone: (812) 663-2764
- Delaware Historical Alliance, P.O. Box 1266, Muncie, IN 47308; (765) 282-1550
- Local History and Genealogy Department, Muncie Public Library, 221 East Jackson St , Muncie, IN 47305 ; 765-747-8208
- Delaware County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Delaware County
- Delaware County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Delaware County
- USGenWeb Archives for Delaware County
Delaware County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Delaware County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Delaware County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Delaware County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
- Delaware County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 W. Main Street, Muncie, IN 47305
- Delaware County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (765) 747-7726
- Marriage Records: 1827
- Probate Records: 1830
- Court Records: 1828
- Delaware County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 765-747-7804
- Land Records: 1829
- Delaware County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Delaware County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Delaware County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Delaware County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Delaware County genealogy or family history related sites.
Delaware Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Delaware Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Delaware Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Delaware Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Delaware Co. IN Census Records
Delaware Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Delaware Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Delaware Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Delaware Co. IN General and History Websites
Delaware Co. IN Military Records
Delaware Co. IN Schools & Directories