Brown County, Indiana Genealogy
Brown County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Brown Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Brown County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.browncounty-in.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: February 4, 1836 from Bartholomew County, Jackson County and Monroe County
- County Seat: Nashville
- Named After: General Jacob Brown, hero of the War of 1812
- Bordering Counties: Johnson County (northeast), Bartholomew County (east), Jackson County (south), Monroe County (west), Morgan County (northwest)
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Nashville
- Hamblen, Jackson, Van Buren, Washington
Brown County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Brown County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Brown County Historian, Diana Biddle, 160 McDonald Drive, Morgantown, IN 46160; Home Phone: (765) 318-1267, Work Phone: (812) 988-4629
- Brown Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1202, Nashville IN 47448-1202; Phone: (812) 320-6237
- Brown Historical Society, 1934 SR 135 N, P.O. Box 668, Nashville IN 47448; Phone (812) 988-6089; Phone: (812) 988-6089
- Brown County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Brown County
- Brown County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Brown County
- USGenWeb Archives for Brown County
Brown County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Brown County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Brown County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Brown county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Courthouse destroyed by Fire, All records lost, except some clerk's files.
- Brown County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 20 East Main Street, Nashville, Indiana 47448
- Brown County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 812-988-5510
- Marriage Records: 1836
- Probate Records: 1837
- Court Records: 1837
- Brown County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 201 Locust Lane, Nashville, Indiana 47448
- Phone: 812-988-5462
- Land Records: 1873
- Brown County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Brown County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Indiana Historical Records
- Databases include Indiana Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Indiana Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Indiana Voter Lists & Census Records; Indiana Immigration & Emigration Records; Indiana Obituary Records; Indiana Military Records; Indiana Family Tree Records; Indiana Pictures; Indiana Stories, Memories & Histories; Indiana Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Brown County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Brown County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Brown County genealogy or family history related sites.
Brown Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Brown Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Brown Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Brown Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Brown Co. IN Census Records
Brown Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Brown Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Brown Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Brown Co. IN General and History Websites
Brown Co. IN Military Records
Brown Co. IN Schools & Directories