Boone County, Indiana Genealogy
Boone County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Boone Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Boone County Quick Facts
- Government Website: boonecounty.in.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1830 from Adams New Purchase and Wabash New Purchase
- County Seat: Lebanon
- Named After: Frontiersman Daniel Boone
- Bordering Counties: Clinton County (north), Hamilton County (east), Marion County (southeast), Hendricks County (south), Montgomery County (west).
- Cities, Towns & Communities: Advance, Jamestown, Lebanon, Thorntown, Ulen, Whitestown, Zionsville
- Townships: Center, Clinton, Eagle, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Marion, Perry, Sugar Creek, Union, Washington, Worth
Boone County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Boone County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Indiana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Boone County Historian, Marianne Doyle, 635 W. Pine St., Zionsville, IN 46077-1765; Home Phone: (317) 873-2547
- Boone Historical Society, P.O. Box 141, Lebanon, IN 46052; Phone: (765) 483-9414
- Jackson Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 297, Jamestown, IN 46147-0297; Phone: (765) 676-5891
- Sugar Creek Historical Society, P.O. Box 23, Thorntown, IN 46071-0023; Phone: (765) 436-2202
- SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St., Zionsville, IN 46077-1620; Phone: (317) 873-4900
- Zionsville Historical Society, 635 W. Pine St., Zionsville, IN 46077-1637; Phone: (317) 873-2547
- Boone County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Boone County
- Boone County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Boone County
- USGenWeb Archives for Boone County
Boone County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Boone County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Boone County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Boone county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Oct. 1856, Practically all records lost. .
- Boone County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 202 Courthouse Square, Lebanon, IN 46052
- Boone County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: 765-482-3510
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Probate Records: 1846
- Court Records: 1846
- Boone County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: Lebanon, IN 46052
- Land Records: 1856
- Boone County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Boone County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Indiana Historical Records
- Databases include Indiana Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Indiana Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Indiana Voter Lists & Census Records; Indiana Immigration & Emigration Records; Indiana Obituary Records; Indiana Military Records; Indiana Family Tree Records; Indiana Pictures; Indiana Stories, Memories & Histories; Indiana Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Boone County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Boone County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Boone County genealogy or family history related sites.
Boone Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Boone Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Boone Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Boone Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Boone Co. IN Census Records
Boone Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Boone Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Boone Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Boone Co. IN General and History Websites
Boone Co. IN Military Records
Boone Co. IN Schools & Directories